14 September 2011

From Bangkok to Chiang Mai

A couple of things happened on our way to Chiang Mai.

During our last day in Bangkok, I FINALLY found a street stall that I knew for sure sold vegetarian fare (it's surprisingly difficult to identify ingredients on the street and a lot of meat and fish is usually involved). This man made beautiful savoury crepes with eggs - delicious (and no, I did not have that sausage that you see in the picture)!



In a truly EPIC moment, while waiting for our train, we had vegetarian curry on the floor besides our backpacks. I never felt more like a backpacker in my entire life!



Our train suffered a 5-hour delay. That's right - we were delayed for 5 hours. Luckily, when we finally arrived in Chiang Mai, I had time to recuperate with a cup of coffee while Jochem managed to get us a room at our #1 pick for 5 euros a night.



I already found a favorite spot in Chiang Mai. When we first arrived, we immediately liked the vibe of this city, but were quickly disappointed by the backpacker masses and all who cater to them (the fact that we ourselves are, indeed, backpackers apparently doesn't ease this pain). Since we are usually staying at the accommodation variety that has bare light bulbs and a shower over the toilet (seriously, WHY is that?!), it's important to have a sanctuary of some kind. I found it in the totally cliche, yet surprisingly charming, Blue Diamand Cafe, which has vegetarian food, a tranquil garden, and lots of hippies around. I love it.



Plus: it was here that I discovered turmeric tea. Not only is this delicious, apparently it is good for your skin. My skin needs something good happening to it, what with all the humidity here in South East Asia during monsoon season. Myself and everything I own is in a constant state of dampness and our new room doesn't have AC but a fan instead. I'm willing to try anything at this point.



Chiang Mai is scattered with temples, so we visited a few today.



We also got to our senses and bought a pair of umbrellas. We don't like to get wet, but ponchos are just so uncool, so umbrellas it is then.



After seeing this last of 4 temples, we took our tired selves to a salon for a 1-hour foot massage. Aaahhh...



And one last little note: we now have a toilet that doesn't flush. We need to use water from a bucket to splash away our business. I think Michiel and Marije may have told us about this at some point, but still, it was totally shocking.

Let's see what else Chiang Mai has to offer...

Jochem just posted some more pictures of Bangkok and of our train ride to Chiang Mai, so if you'd like to see more pictures of our world trip, check out our picture gallery here!

No comments: