30 January 2012

MY FAVORITE NEW ZEALAND

ACCOMMODATION Cap´n Bob´s Beach House, Paihia, North Island (although the Golden Lodge in Nelson on the South Island comes close and, overall, the quality of hostels in New Zealand is very high)

ALCOHOLIC DRINK Sauvignon Blanc from the Malborough wine region on the South Island

BAR n/a

BEACH Hot Water Beach, North Island

CITY n/a, since we hardly spent any time in cities other than to sleep or change transportation

CLUB n/a

DISAPPOINTMENT kayakking in Abel Tasman National Park - hard, cold and wet

DRINK fresh blueberry juice at Mamaku Blue, North Island

FELLOW TRAVELLERS Paihia, North Island

FOOD Difficult to say, since we mostly cooked ourselves.

LOCALS Everywhere. Anywhere. Kiwis are among some of the nicest people I´ve ever met - always smiling, always willing to give a hand, and always wanting us to enjoy New Zealand.

MELTDOWN Waking up in a wet tent at 1 ´o clock in the morning during a thunderstorm and needing to move indoors in Abel Tasman National Park, South Island.

MONUMENT Cape Reinga, North Island

MUSEUM n/a

NATURE Tongariro National Park

RANDOMNESS During our 3 weeks in New Zealand I´ve heard more German speech than English. There are a LOT of Germans in New Zealand, it´s quite shocking.

RESTAURANT Hot Waves Cafe, North Island (although Aunty Mena´s in Wellington on the North Island makes a good second)

NORTH ISLAND OR SOUTH ISLAND I´ve only seen very little of the South Island, but I really enjoyed the amazing diversity in nature on the North Island.

SURPRISE Paihia, North Island - our little paradise

WEATHER Paihia, North Island

I wouldn't have wanted to miss...
...hiking the Tongariro Alpine Crossing in Tongariro National Park.

I could've skipped...
...kayakking in Abel Tasman National Park, and just hike instead.

I want to go back to...
...the South Island, so that I can see more of it.

[inspired by The Other Flying Dutchman]

No comments: