04 June 2012

MY FAVORITE SOUTH AMERICA

ACCOMMODATION our Torre del Mar suite at Las Olas, Copacabana, Lake Titicaca, Bolivia

ALCOHOLIC DRINK homemade pisco sours with local trees, plants, herbs and fruits at Ayllu, San Pedro de Atacama, Chile, but I also have a soft spot for sauvignon blanc from Chile and Brazil's caipirinhas

BAR La Piojera, home to Santiago's famous terramote, Chile

BEACH Punta Norte at Peninsula Valdés, Argentina for wildlife (orcas!), but Bahía Inglesa, Chile for playing in the surf with friends

CITY Valparaíso, Chile

CLUB 9 months of traveling together has confirmed it: we are NOT clubbers!

COUNTRY Bolivia

DISAPPOINTMENT Buenos Aires, Argentina

DRINK tereré, Paraguay

FELLOW TRAVELLERS on the Inca Trail, Peru

FOOD Being a vegetarian in South America is tricky and in many places food just wasn't a highlight at all. My favorite food was probably the perfectly crafted corn bread called chipa from Paraguay.

LOCALS Isla Grande de Chiloé, Chile

MELTDOWN Almost getting robbed by a bunch of kids in Montevideo, Uruguay, though I must say that I'm quite proud of leaving South America without having been in a serious bus accident, without having been mugged, and with my ear lobes intact.

MONUMENT Machu Picchu, Peru

MUSEUM the archeological museum at Tiwanaku, Bolivia

NATURE South West Circuit, Bolivia

RANDOMNESS There is so much to see in South America that it becomes quite overwhelming - it took us 40 days to figure out that maybe we should move on and finally leave Chile, and still we feel like we've only seen a small piece of the country.

RESTAURANT Pizza Andina, Puno, Peru

SURPRISE La Paz, Bolivia

WEATHER always sunny Paraguay

I wouldn't have wanted to miss...
...the challenging but ultimately rewarding hike on the Inca Trail.

I could've skipped...
...Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I want to go back to...
...Argentina, to see more of Argentinian Patagonia.

[inspired by The Other Flying Dutchman]

No comments: