18 June 2012

THE TOP 5

Our world trip is over and I would like to take a moment to recap the last 9 months in this final world trip-related blog. We traveled for exactly 9 months, or 40 weeks, or 280 days.We traveled 84.335 kilometers across 4 continents and 17 countries. We took 7 trains, 14 flights, 15 boats and a staggering 52 busses. We've been to some amazing places and have seen things and done things that some people can only dream of. I never did conquer my fear of flying and free-falling, but I did impress myself by finishing the Inca Trail unscathed. I did not end up hating backpacking, like I had sometimes feared, but thrived and even enjoyed it. I have been bitten by a monkey, bed bugs and countless mosquitos. I have had food poisoning, rabies shots, altitude sickness and teenagers try to mug me, but not once did I get seriously ill, get into an accident or was violently attacked. I did lose 5 kilos and numerous possessions, though, and found out that I too can be disorganized and that, in the end, it doesn't really matter. I realize that I don't need a big house, nice car or many things to be happy, and I hope to retain this feeling. Although I am happy to be home and to be back in the Netherlands, another part of me can't wait to hit the road again, this time with an even smaller backpack. Some amazing things have happened. My parents came to visit us in Indonesia and fell in love with its charms as much as I did. Miraculously, Jochem and I managed not to kill each other and are happier together than ever. Jochem asked me to marry him on the beautiful island of Chiloé in Chile and gave me the engagement ring that I had always wanted. We are now quietly planning our next steps and the rest of our lives together. Picking your favorite moments from a lifetime worth of unforgettable moments may seem daunting, but I didn't have to think hard to pick mine, for there are some clear winners. Here are my all-time favorite experiences of our world trip:

5. Roadtripping with old friends in foreign lands, CHILE



4. Exploring the South West Circuit by Jeep, BOLIVIA



3. Navigating the island by scooter, EASTER ISLAND



2. Sailing through Nusa Tenggara, INDONESIA



1. Hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, PERU

No comments: