14 July 2009
Summer Break
Ever since I heard that I had passed my master thesis one week ago, I have been on my summer break. Which is so weird after having been so busy for so long. Which is also why I do not have that much to tell y'all. I have a summer job cleaning people's houses, but that's only for three hours in the morning and three hours in the afternoon, tops. Jochem, meanwhile, has a job serving rich people at a golf tournament in Zandvoort, which means that by the time I get back from work, he is gone, and he doesn't come back until the middle of the night. The only time we see each other is during my breakfast, after which Jochem crawls back into bed until he has to get up for work. That kinda sucks, but it also means that I have the house all to myself. Jochem is not around making phone calls or working on his computer, which is arguably the most depressing sight for me right now. I don't have to fight for the remote. Not having any homework or other responsibilities and with family in Almelo and friends in Australia, Cuba and Belgium (really!), I spent about eight hours a day behind the tv and/or computer. I watch a variety of high quality tv shows, such as Oprah, Dr. Phil, Greyʾs Anatomy, CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York, De bruiloft van... (Dutch for: The wedding of...), Rich Bride Poor Bride, Paradise Hotel 2, True Beauty, Sex and the City, Lipstick Jungle and Cashmere Mafia, as well as Pirates of the Caribbean parts 1, 2 and 3, and bad romantic comedies on tv, and an old homemade movie (all at the same time, of course). I go swimming with Bic once a week (which has happened once thus far), and I do Hatha Yoga three times a week (which reminds me: I shouldnʾt forget to do that before I go to bed tonight, even though my book says that I shouldnʾt do yoga before going to bed because then I start associating yoga with sleep, which is apparently very bad, but what do they know, really?). I have dinner with Bic and Mar every week, and I force them to either eat vegetarian food or cook it for me, because yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am a vegetarian now. The non-meat/non-fish eating vegetarian. Jochem thinks that this is just a phase, and that we are only ʾtrying it outʾ for one month, but letʾs embellish on that illusion a little longer. My cat and I are bonding (which is slightly more difficult with the fish, them being in a bowl and all), having no one but each other for company. I now always wear my very long hair in a bun (knoet!), since I refuse to deal with it otherwise. I read my books about list-making and creativity, and have actually started drawing stuff, which of course sucks and is only recognizable because I write editorial notes next to the drawings. I have also cleaned out my closet (and forced Jochem to do the same) and rearranged my correspondences (is that word still used in the Kingʾs English?) and magazine collection, and threw away about a forest worth of paper. I do loads and loads of laundry and play Katie Melua and John Mayer very loudly because they represent my blues collection (no lecture on music genre required). And thatʾs about it folks! Isnʾt it GREAT?! :P
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hilarious! and congrats on passing your thesis! It was great to see you in Utrecht. I'll get pictures posted soon :)
Wow... I honestly never thought I'd see the day. And I love how you looked up the definition of vegetarian and are sticking to that, hahaha.
Enjoy yourself. You so deserve it!
Post a Comment