05 July 2011

i ♥ utrecht, part iii (last entry)

When I came up with the idea for this i ♥ utrecht series, I thought that I would have lots of things to write about. But I don't. And I guess that's a good thing - it would be sad to have to leave a place that I'm not ready to leave, but I am ready and thus have very little to say in terms of things that I'll miss. Yes, I have lived happily in this apartment, but at this point I am beyond ready to leave it behind and let it get on with its next phase. Yes, I love having a park right around the corner, but every town has one, some probably better than the Griftpark. I try to see this not as a failure (I did write 365 blogs about food, after all, so I'm sure it's not a matter of discipline) but as a sign that I am ready for what's next and that's always a good thing.

The last thing that I must write about when it comes to Utrecht is the sense of having everything you need close by. This may seem unimportant to you but is actually very important to my happiness. I don't go out very often so things like the theater, museums and festivals are usually lost on me, but it's wonderful to have a cinema, restaurant, café and bar on every corner. Plus: I detest supermarkerts so I buy my fruit and vegetables across the street, my bread around the corner, my cheese down the street, my cat food a couple of blocks away, and any other cravings in the endless little shops and boutiques in the neighborhood. I go downtown less and less and spend more time in Wittevrouwen, which is nice.

However, since I probably won't end up in Almelo after all and am increasingly drawn to Amersfoort, Utrecht's hip, cool, frat boy-free little brother, I'll probably have all of that and more, while being able to afford more living space and being closer to my family and friends. I can't wait.

No comments: