29 November 2010

"What I Cooked Today" Day 217



Officially, it's still fall, but winter has come. All of a sudden it turned from cold to freezing over the course of one weekend. I spent this Sunday with my family in Almelo, where I tried to enjoy the rare occurence of cold weather + sunshine + day off + a boyfriend not working, to the best of my abilities. Before dinner Jochem and I took a long walk along the canal. Almelo is not an exciting place to live, which is of course the reason why I left it 8 years ago in the first place, but, in my mind, the well-organized parks of Utrecht do not compare to the rugged beauty of Twente's backyard. I love to walk through it every chance I get. Jochem managed to take some beautiful pictures of our winter scenery. The Dutch seasons never fail to surprise and delight me - after a long winter, one day you look up, and there are green buds all over the trees, and you wonder: how did they get there so suddenly? Or you start noticing the leaves turning all sorts of colors and then, before you know it, they're all gone. Or when it keeps getting colder and colder until one day it is actually below freezing. It all happens so gradually yet so suddenly. Like my life right now. I started planning a world trip more than 2 years ago and for so long it seemed so far away that it just wasn't really real, until suddenly I have bought a ticket and there's no way back (or so it seems). Life is always going by too slowly yet so quickly. It's weird.









And after all that, Jochem made Astoria soup and dad made Spanish tapas and my family and I had ourselves a little Sunday dinner. And then, as suddenly as it had appeared, the weekend was over.



Source: Jamie's America by Jamie Oliver

No comments: