04 January 2011

"What I Cooked Today" Day 253



Today I spent another day at home to really get the flu out of my system. I feel better than yesterday, although I still feel very weak. At times like this I wish we had a real bathroom with an actual bathtub and fruity bath salts. Instead, I made do with a leftover Christmas tree, one leather sofa and cups of herbal tea with honey. I indulged in the ultimate guilty pleasure by watching the annual All You Need Is Love Christmas Special. For those of you who do not live in the Netherlands and who are unfamiliar with this piece of epic television: All You Need Is Love used to be a weekly TV show by Robert ten Brink ('Doctor Love') in which family, friends and, of course, loved ones are reunited. The weekly shows stopped years ago, but every year on Christmas Eve there is an annual Christmas Special that lasts up to two hours. I was in Palolem at Christmas Eve, enjoying my sea food platter and secretly feeding the hotel's stray cats, so I decided to watch it today and it was just beautiful. A real tear jerker and better than any movie since these are real people. It is like chicken soup for the soul.

And on that note: today I enjoyed a lovely dinner of leek soup and mac 'n' cheese. The mac 'n' cheese was leftover from a couple of days ago and Jochem was kind enough to make me soup yesterday because I always crave soup when I don't feel well, and he was so smart to make enough soup to enjoy today. Plus: you know how much I absolutely love leek, so to have leek soup with cream and fresh herbs is just heaven in a bowl for my rotten self.

And before I forget I simply have to share this quote by Ashley from Not Without Salt about homeschooling:

"I mean really, most of what you need to know in life can be taught through baking right?! – fractions, chemistry, patience, persistence and the importance of using good chocolate."

So true.

Source: Jamie Magazine Issue 13 September/October 2010

No comments: