16 January 2011

"What I Cooked Today" Day 264

Today we celebrated Bic's 25th birthday for the third time at her parents' house in Hoevelaken. They have a Boretti oven and gas burner. Enough said. We all went over there in the afternoon to start the cooking. Bic had prepared a wonderful Middle Eastern/African feast with marinated chicken, lamb köfte, roasted vegetables with a honey dressing, Turkish bread, a roasted pepper salad and homemade garlic yogurt. It was splendid and I was so full afterwards that I didn't even need a midnight snack to compensate for all of the white wine I'd been consuming. I did leave some room, however, for our banana and chocolate muffins with chocolate icing and crumbled sugared peanuts. I believe that the overall consensus was that it needed a bit more of a banana taste, but I think that we all enjoyed it despite that flaw.

By the way, we gave Bic a Lonely Planet on Argentina, because somehow we convinced the girl (or at least I think we did) to come visit us there next year during our world trip. If the rest of our gang could also make it, it would just be perfect. And let this be an open invitation to all of our friends and family: if you are looking into you next vacation, and you would like to travel far, come visit us, wherever we are!

Source: Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home by Nigella Lawson

No comments: