20 February 2011

"What I Cooked Today" Day 299

Today Jochem and I embarked on a crazy cooking frenzy by cooking 4 (!!!) dishes in 1 night! It all started when I decided that I wanted to have Nigella's piƱa colada ice cream for dessert this weekend. I decided that it would probably be best to make this as early as possible, since the ice cream would need time to freeze. Since we were working ahead already, I thought that it would be good to also make next week's moussakka in advance, since making the sauces takes forever and the dish freezes well, according to Jamie. When we finished all of that, we finally got round to cooking our dinner of that day. First, we made a so-called Venetian carrot cake. Nigella tells me that the Venetians first invented a pastry with carrot (I should have known that all things good originate from Italy), so we couldn't wait to try this alternative cake. It was a really nice cake with a moist texture that was interrupted (if you will) by raisins soaked in rum and toasted pine nuts. We also made some cream to go along with the carrot cake.

Source: Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home by Nigella Lawson



Then, we finally got round to making our main course. We prepared a simple pasta dish with rigatoni, spring onion, garlic, chili, and the star of the night: fresh octopus! The idea is to make fresh calamari rings that mimick the shape of the rigatoni, causing quite the confusion as to which is which. I'm not sure whether we accomplished all that, but with all the white wine and butter that we added, what else is there, really?

Source: Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home by Nigella Lawson

No comments: