05 December 2010

"What I Cooked Today" Day 222



Today Jochem and I traveled across the border to visit Jochem's mother and stepfather, who live in Nierswalde, Germany. Jochem's grandmother, brother and sister-in-law were also there, and I was happy to see them before leaving for India in just two weeks. When we arrived everyone else was already there (we were a bit late due to Jochem's internship report deadline and a lot of snow) and there were all sorts of Sinterklaas goodies on the table already to snack from. At night we had a simple salad with sweet onion and tomatoes, hutspot (which is a typical Dutch dish with mashed potatoes, carrots and onions) and this lovely piece of beef that had been stewing for two days. For dessert we had coffee and tiramisĂș. But as you can see I already started snacking on the way over there by having a gingerbread latte at Starbucks, which, despite possibly being the most overpriced cup of coffee I've had thus far in my life, was quite delightful in today's winter scenery. Can you feel the holidays coming?

No comments: