30 December 2010

"What I Cooked Today" Day 248



I am writing to you in a somewhat comatose state. Jochem is making dinner after we unpacked our suitcases and I am desperately trying to write this blog post on a cruelly slow laptop while trying not to fall asleep or miss those two rascals too much who will be in Almelo till Sunday.

It took us 2 days, 3 flights, 1 awful day at a bug-infested, no-window hotel room in Mumbai trying to catch up on some sleep, countless hasslers trying to take our money for carrying 1 bag 3 meters (I do NOT like Mumbai), countless cups of coffee and 1 train ride, but we made it: we are home. And home sweet home it is!

After an incredibly tiring journey I felt quite exhilirated to be on Dutch soil - calling and texting friends and family. But the fatigue has definitely set in. I don't know how he did it, but while I was unpacking in my typical non-efficient, time-consuming way, Jochem somehow managed to buy groceries and make me mac 'n' cheese, because I wanted comfy food that did not include anything spicy and a side dish of naan. I loves him.

But there is also sad news. We came home to a dead Pasta. Pasta was pretty old for a goldfish, considering that he's lived with us for more than two years, and had been acting strangely for a while - lying still, not moving, and almost not breathing at all. But he'd always make it to another day, so when we left Pasta and Pesto with a fresh bowl, a plant and fresh food, we expected him to be there when we came back. I don't know what happened since Pesto is fine. Perhaps it was too cold because we turned off the heater completely in our absence? I guess we'll never know. We didn't quite know what to do with the fella. My dad used to flush our dead goldfish through the toilet, which surely scarred me for life since I now can't even kill a mosquito without guilt. So he's in a plastic bag in our freezer. I'm kind of hoping to bury him next to our balcony plant in a kind of Lion-King-circle-of-life kind of way. Maybe you think I'm crazy. In that case I plead innocense. Due to exhaustion.



Source: Jamie's America by Jamie Oliver

1 comment:

AnnaDenise said...

Welcome home! Sad you missed all the snow? ;-)

So sorry to hear about Pasta. :-s Poor guy. It has been pretty cold here and those things hit the elderly first, of course.

Sleep well and talk to you soon.