08 June 2010

"What I Cooked Today" Day 44


Today I made dinner for Jochem, who's in denial about suffering from massive amounts of pain due to his wisdom teeth having been pulled at the hospital today. Since chewing appeared to be somewhat problematic, I made something that would be easy to consume: chicken tandoori. Chicken tandoori is still one of my favorite dishes, although probably more because of nostalgia than because of anything else. It comes in one of those premade packages that you have to add a couple of fresh ingredients to, and I know from personal experience that it tastes nothing like the real chicken tandoori that I always order at my two favorite Indian restaurants downtown. But this was the first recipe I ever mastered. My then boyfriend taught me how to make it when I was a 17-year-old student still living in Almelo. This was in 2001, and for years it was the only thing I could cook, so I would often make it for friends and family (my family has become so sick of it that I'm afraid I've spoiled them as far as Indian food is concerned for the rest of their lives). But I still love it. It's a real comfort food to me and, in light of the more culinary activities I've been doing lately, really easy to make as well. Over the years I've become quite the chicken tandoori expert by tweaking the recipe - a little more water here, a little less creme fraiche there, and there you go! I've also started using tofu instead of chicken because we only buy organic meat and organic chicken has to be one of the most expensive things out there (so next time you see chicken filets on sale in your local supermarket, know that they are most likely not the happy kind of bird). Jochem hasn't been very happy with this decision, but today it came in handy because of his inability to chew. Today he could just swallow the thing!

No comments: