27 June 2010

"What I Cooked Today" Day 62

The weather lately has been great. Imagine blue skies without a cloud in sight, lots of sunlight and a little breeze. This is a rare occurance in the Netherlands, mind you, whose summers tend to be grey and wet in order to make up for the little heat waves in the spring and fall. This weekend Jochem and I dragged our two cats into a bus, a train and another bus to spend a couple of days at my empty parents' house. Said parents are spending two weeks in southern Spain and we decided to leave our sticky apartment for cooler climates inside this house. Also, since we're both almost done with school for the year, we spend a lot of time doing summery things, like having ice cream downtown and spending a few hours at the pool. Of course there's also cooking involved, but in a different form than you may recognize from our usual cooking. Of course one of the holiest of Dutch summer pasttimes is the bbq. Having a 1-square-meter balcony, no matter how comfortable when sat on alone, rather complicates this task. Therefore, having a brother and sister-in-law who invite you to their family bbq is such an easy way to go. Unfortunately, so is leaving you camera in the process.

1 comment:

AnnaDenise said...

Ahhh that sounds lovely. Hopefully we'll have a BBQ soon! We cleaned up our balcony this weekend and are turning it into a 'catio' (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/garden/17catio.html) so Meneertje can join us.

Have fun out there. I miss you and tell your parents and brother I said hi. It's about time I see them again! It's been ages!