27 May 2010

Seasonal Changes

So many people I know, even friends and family, seem to dislike the Netherlands. I don't get that. Personally, I love this country and feel very blessed to have been born and raised here. And while I love to travel, I can never really imagine leaving it for good. The thought excites me, but seeing as that after living in one of my all-time favorite countries in the world, the USA, and desperately wanting to come back after 6 months, I fear that I may just not be an out-of-country dweller - I am simply too Dutch to fit in anywhere else.

One of my favorite things about the Netherlands is the weather or, to be more accurate, the seasons. This may surprise some. The Dutch weather is known worldwide for its rain, cold and overall greyishness. I believe it's right there with Great Britain and Ireland, minus the rugged wildlife. But when I was living in Los Angeles and the sun was literally always shining (I believe it only rained for a total of 3 days while I was there), I was in desperate need of some grey sky.

I love the way that the seasons keep evolving. The fall is always breathtaking with its colored leaves on the trees. When it snows it somehow feels more like a 'real' winter. And lately the leaves have started to grow back and you smell blossoms around every corner. The air is crisp and fresh. You can see it staying lighter later and later - from 5 PM till 6 PM until 9.30 PM last night. Whenever there is sun, the Dutch flee the insides of their homes and find a terrace somewhere.

Of course the seasons also have their downside. Come September you also see it get darker and darker again until you need a light at 4 PM. November is somehow always a dreary month. Snow looks pretty but it's not so much fun when you fall down on your bike or when your heater breaks down again. And January and February are undoubtedly the longest, darkest months of the year.

Still, I cannot imagine having to live without these seasonal changes.

No comments: