31 May 2010
Twentysomething Blues
Jochem and I made a pact in order to stop me from turning into one of those annoyingly troubled twentysomethings. I suspect, or perhaps rather hope, that I am at present still in the pleasantly neurotic category of twentysomethings, but my never-ending musings have even started to irritate me. I've written countless times about the many dilemmas twentysomethings in my day and age are facing and about how I am not handling it all too well. To quote contemporary pop culture, Sarah Jessica Parker said as Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City: "So many roads, so many detours. So many choices, so many mistakes." This perfectly sums up how I've felt for quite some time now. Of course a lot of the pressure is off now that Jochem and I aren't getting married, but as graduation comes closer I become more and more aware of the fact that am still jobless come July. Since I work in education I guess that I don't have to start freaking out till the end of August, but doom day is looming. But what really worries me is the big, black, gaping hole after our world trip. When we return, we'll be living in my parents' attic with all of our options open as to where to go next. While this may seem like a liberating thought to some (as I suspected it would to me) it is starting to slowly but surely fill me up with dread and anxiety. What am I supposed to do with my life?! Where should I live?! When will I ever get married?! Will I ever be able to drive a car or buy a house?! When will I be able to take care of our pug puppy?! Yesterday I talked these things over with BFF Anna for the millionth time over coffee at Starbucks and got tired just hearing myself talk about it. So when I came home I made a drastic decision: to not talk about THE FUTURE for a full month. June is to be my worry-free month. Of course this doesn't stop the worries from swirling into my brain and nesting there until they start to fester and grow tentacles, but at least I won't bother anyone else with them. At least after you've read this blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good for you. Even though I think it's very natural to be freaking out about the future (I mean, did you see me right before I found out we were moving to Brussels? That one month of unemployment and insecurity nearly killed me), I think it's a great idea to not worry about the future. Especially not one that is as far away as that. First comes this week, then comes the next, then summer, and the 'the rest' :-)
BTW I've made a pact with myself not to complain for the entire month of June, so a cheerful bunch we'll be :-) Hopefully it'll turn me into less of a whiney b*tch.
And remember: we love you and your friends will always be there for you (although not always next door).
Post a Comment