14 May 2010

"What I Cooked Today" Day 19



No, I did not cook today!!! Jochem had dinner with his mother in Arnhem so I had left-over take-out Indian food for dinner. I spiced it up with some fresh coriander and our homemade spicy olive oil.

[My Spanish aunt Mari taught me how to make this in August. Just bring a large amount of extra virgin olive oil to a medium heat while adding lots and lots of dried chilis. The heat will bring all the flavors together. When finished, make sure that the olive oil has cooled before storing it. As time progresses, the heat from the chilis will make the olive oil more intense - great over pizzas, pastas and all sorts of other dishes!]

After the Indian curry I decided to treat myself to homemade brownies. And not the sad Dutch wannabe brownies that you usually find in the supermarkets here, but the really good, really American, really expensive homemade brownies that you really have to look for. Last week I wrote about how I would like to learn how to make brownies, and I was sure that today would not only be the day where I would get one step closer to that goal, but that it would also help me get out of my existential food crisis of the past week.

Boy, was I wrong.

One problem with brownies imported from America are its American measurements. Why they haven't come round to the metric system over there by now is beyond my level of comprehension, and something I have very little patience for at the moment, because due to the incomprehensibility of the American measurements, I accidentally used 4 times as much vegetable oil as was actually needed. 4 times. 500 ml of sunflower oil in total.

You can imagine that after a big plate of Indian curry and two glasses of white wine, a tub of lard for dessert hits home hard. I feel very, very sick right now, as if I'm drunk on fat. Jochem can't even listen to me talk about it anymore.

It's the perfect ending to my sick food rut week.

No comments: