07 July 2010
"What I Cooked Today" Day 72
Like I already wrote yesterday, today I did not cook but ate left-over lasagna from yesterday. Jochem and I also managed to stuff ourselves with a couple of homemade chocolate rocks from last week before heading downtown at 7.45 PM. The half final between the Netherlands and Uruguay would start at 8.30 PM and we wanted to get there a bit early (not scary "soccer is the only thing that matters" early but somewhat "this is rather exceptional" early). Unfortunately, the whole city was already packed with orange fans. Me and my friends were able to find a cool spot in front of a big screen in a small café and voluntarily watched 90 blood-coiling minutes, but we did it again: WE WON!!! The last time the Netherlands was in the World Cup soccer finals was in 1978, 32 years ago. The only time that the national soccer team did anything worthwhile in my lifetime was in 1988 when they won the European Championships. Unfortunately, I was 4 when that happened, so I don't remember it at all. On Sunday the Netherlands will either play Germany or Spain, which will be decided tomorrow. Jochem and I will travel to Almelo to watch that game with my Spanish relatives, but on Sunday I will definitely be back in Utrecht to witness more soccer madness. Could it be...?!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment